Saturday, June 28, 2008

Another Chapter Closed

Michael's wake and funeral were on June 26, 2008 for the Wake, and June27, 2008 for the Funeral. This past week has been very difficult for me and my family. Last Friday, June 20, 2008 is when Michael really started to decline. My heart is so broken right now...I don't know how to put into words how I really feel. Michael was so young...he shouldn't have died.

Michael's beautiful Mandala art was displayed for everyone to see. We didn't know he was doing this art until he was placed in the Hospice. It gave him great comfort in the end. Art has a way of doing that...it has always been therapeutic for me.

This picture is from the Wake. During the funeral, I read a book called Where Do Balloons Go? An Uplifting Mystery by Jaime Lee Curtis. The best way I can describe this book is it's a whimsical way to look at death. It never mentions death, but you know that's the hidden meaning. The book ends with these words: Where do balloons go? It's a mystery, I know. So hold on tight til you have to let go.

An interesting tidbit...this past Monday, June 23, 2008 the day Michael died...I mentioned to my family about reading this book at Michael's funeral, later that evening we went to dinner and as we were pulled up to a light a small, white balloon was rolling along the street towards our car, it rolled in front of us turned a corner and rolled up the cross street up a hill. Despite what you might think, to me that was a sign from Michael that everything is okay. He's still with us in spirit.


A mother's sorrow


A brother-in-law and a brother's pain.


A nephew's sadness.

I feel so sad for Cedric that he will only get to know his Uncle Michael through pictures and videos...I don't know how much he will remember Michael, because he is so young.


One last family picture with just a hint of Michael in the picture. I usually smile when someone takes a picture of me, but I couldn't find a reason to smile.


We closed the coffin together as a family. We all said our final goodbyes, and all I could do was weep as we closed the lid.


Goodbye Michael...we will always love you!

Michael

By Michele Blanco

Friday, June 27, 2008

It was not so long ago that the bad news came…

I never wanted to see this day,

I never wanted you to go away.

I’ve been struggling for so many months…


So many things I wish I’ve done and said.

Now you forever have gone to bed.

There was never enough time,

You were taken from us still in your prime.


And now my heart is breaking and I can’t stop the tears.

I wish I said I loved you more all throughout our years.

Seeing your body once again,

Lying so quiet and so serene.


Just a shell of a person who once was,

Now I can only see you in my dreams.

So young and so innocent you seemed on that faithful Sunday,

I just wanted to hug you and take your pain away.


I didn’t want you to suffer anymore.

Early Monday morning, you made the choice to finally close the door.

And now you are watching over me from above,

Soaring like a dove.


Goodbye, Michael…

Until we meet again,

You’ll forever be my brother, forever be my friend.





1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We love you Michele, and we're sorry that we can do no more than send you and your family our love and our strongest wishes that you'll all carry only the best of times with Michael with you always. Thank you for sharing your grief and your love for Michael with us.