Friday, January 30, 2009

Michael's Birthday

A Poem by Mary Elizabeth Frye
Do not stand at my grave and weep.
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow;
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain;
I am the gentle Autumn’s rain.
When you awaken in the morning’s hush.
I am the swift uplifting rush
Of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry.
I am not there;
I did not die.

Today is January 30, 2009...Michael's birthday. He would have been 39 years old today, but unfortunately he died from brain cancer on June 23, 2008.

He has missed Barack Obama winning the election and being inaugurated into the White House on Jan. 20th. A historic event because Barack is the first elected black man into the White house. Other things have happened since his death, but the most significant one to me is he will miss the upcoming birth of his new nephew who is due to make an appearance on April 10, 2009.

I know Michael will be there in spirit, but it's not the same. Death never gets easier, and I don't know when the pain ever really goes away. Happy Birthday Michael...I wish you were here to celebrate with us.

No comments: