Monday, January 24, 2011

It's A Girl!!!!

Wednesday, January 12, 2011 I had an early appointment with my doctor's office where I found out the baby had gone from a transverse position to full on breech. I saw the midwife that day, and I told her that I was having some contractions but they weren't consistent. She didn't want to check me, because she didn't want to cause my bleeding to come back. She said I was behaving like I wasn't in labor, so she wasn't concerned.

Fast forward to later on that evening. My husband and I took the boys out to dinner, and I would feel the contractions coming more often. At 6:30, we were home, so I started timing the contractions. They were coming every 4 minutes and lasting about a minute. I let my body go through 6 just to make sure the contractions continued on this pattern. They had me come into labor and delivery. John and I waiting for my parents to come over to watch the boys. We left at 8pm, and got to the hospital about 8:30pm. They brought me up to L&D, and hooked me up to the monitors. The nurse had questions to ask me, and John and I were joking around with the nurse. They still hadn't checked me yet to see if I was dilated. One of the doctors on call could observe my contractions remotely via his phone. He didn't think I was in active labor and he was going to have me be sent home with some Ambien, but he asked the nurse to check me just in case.

The nurse checked me and needed to get the opinion of another nurse, because she wasn't sure. Both experienced nurses couldn't tell if I was dilated or if my cervix was just softening. I think the breech position was throwing them off. They decided to consult with the doctor on the floor. She checked me, and she said I was 9cm dilated and my water was bulging. My contractions were getting more and more intense, especially after they were checking me. My body started pushing....I couldn't stop it. My water exploding on the table. They kept telling me to stop pushing, and I told them just knock me out. They were rushing me to the OR for an emergency c-section. Right before we went in the OR, my body started pushing again, and I felt the baby's foot come out. I told them something was happening. John was back in the L&D room putting on scrubs. In the OR, the doctor had a hold of the baby's leg, and the nurses were pushing my legs back, and they were telling me to push hard. I pushed as hard I could, and I felt the doctor turning the baby to guide the baby through my pelvis. The baby came out with one big push. It was that doctor's first vaginal breech delivery. With all the excitement, nobody told me what I had. I asked, and they said it's a girl. John walked in a minute later, and thought I had a c-section. The surgeon said, "I'm not that fast!".

Melody Evangeline was born on January 12, 2011 at 9:53pm. She weighed 6 lbs. 9 oz., and she was 18 inches. She was a great size for being born 5 weeks/1 day early. She still needed to go to the NICU. John went with her, and I had to get stitches for a 2nd degree tear. Melody's leg was bruised from being born breech, but she was breathing on her own. She did have to go on the CPAP machine for a day, because she was grunting. She's also under the bilirubin lights for jaundice, and she was given an IV for extra fluid. They also gave her antibiotics for a few days in case she had an infection. Precautionary...thankfully her cultures were negative for an infection. It looks like she will only be having to be here for a week, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

John and I had our first date January 12, 2002. Who knew that nine years later I would be married to him and giving birth to our third child. Life is crazy!

I had a dream that I blogged about that everything in it seemed to be a premonition to this moment: http://babyboo2005.blogspot.com/2010/10/last-night-i-had-strangest-dream.html









No comments: