Thursday, April 20, 2006

I Will Remember You


7 Years ago 13 people's lives were cut short, because of two deranged individuals. Like John, I too remember where I was on that day. I was working a couple of miles a way at the time, and our UPS guy told us about what was going on at Columbine. He was freaking out, because his son was there and a jock...he heard about a list where jocks were being targeted and his son's name was on that list.

I know Columbine very well! It was my neighborhood high school...it was the school I would have gone to if I didn't attend Jefferson County Open School. My younger brother went to Columbine, but thankfully he was in college when that tragedy occured. However, some of his friends in college had younger siblings there. Luckily, they were safe although emotionally damaged from what they witnessed.

When I was working at Mervyn's part-time several months later, I met a girl there who talked about what she experienced on that day. She felt comfortable opening up and expressing her experience. She was a student at Columbine and she saw things that nobody, especially someone so young, should every have to witness. It was very sad, and I was impressed by her ability to share such a devastating experience. *For the record, I didn't ask her to talk about it, she just starting talking about it one day while I was in the break room with her.*

Anyway, they are still working on raising money for the memorial. On Friday, June 16th...Bill Clinton will be giving a speech in Clement Park at 4pm. I want to definitely be there, and Chris and Pam will get to be a part of something so great that I know they won't refuse the chance to experience history in the making.

Friend of Mine
performed by Jonathan and Stephen Cohen

Columbine, flower bloom, tenderly I sing to you.
Columbine, roseblood red, heartbreak overflow my head.
Columbine, flower bloom.
Columbine there's hope for you.
Columbine, friend of mine.
To your gain, on the mark.
With your love, love again.
Comfort peace and sweet release come from you.
Where, it's true, I hide myself in you.
Can you still hear raging guns ending dreams of precious ones.
In God' son, hope will come, his red stain will take our pain.
Columbine, friend of mine.
Peace will come to you in time.
Columbine, friend of mine.
Turn a page, to your gain.
Keep your heart on the mark.
Comfort us with your love.
Love again.
Christ of grace attend this place we look to you.
Honor you.
Fix you in our view.
Columbine, flower bloom.
Tenderly I sing to you.
Columbine, roseblood red, heartbreak overflows my head.
Columbine, friend of mine.
Peace will come to you in time.
Columbine, friend of mine.

No comments: